Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Thank goodness I've changed


Again I had the honor to attend PETE & C this week.  I was challenged by a number of things I heard or saw over the course of a few days.  The Tuesday morning keynote speaker, George Couros (@gcouros), who I've read via blogs and seen speak via video a number of times, asked a question I've asked teachers plenty of times.  I had never asked myself.


Reflecting back on my career as a teacher, I now ask...would I want to be in my own classroom, subjected to me?  The answer is no.  I haven't left a legacy throughout my career as someone that has inspired students.  That's not why I was there early in my career.  Admittedly, I was there to coach after school and have summers off.  Then something changed.  I became passionate.  I found something that I enjoyed.  I was able to take that passion, build upon it, and openly share it with others.  I learned how to use technology in the classroom.  I changed.

Nearly 18 years after I started my career I've realized that I was not an educator during the early years...I was a placeholder.  I was an "adult" that put tape on the floor, around the desk, and said students weren't allowed inside the zone!  Thank goodness I've changed.

Today, in my 6th year as a building administrator I...give high fives and hugs, take selfies with students (and staff), play in the cornhole tournament at lunch, share student and staff success via Instagram & Twitter, keep parents up to date with Remind and Facebook, build a PLN and encourage others to do the same.  I have found ways to make technology work for me.  I tell the story of me as a learner, as a leader.  

I'm proof that people can change.  People must change.  Teachers must change.  As educators, we have to continue to develop ourselves and remain relevant in an ever changing world.

Now, I ask myself the question...Would you want to spend the whole day teaching in my school?Would you want to be subjected to me?  I'm working to make sure that the answer is yes, every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment